Thursday 5 January 2012

The Secret

The name for the blog came about because of how I feel about what we do.  Everything that this group has given has come back to me ten fold.  Oprah talks about this all the time.  What you put out in the world is what you get back.  It is very true.  I have lost count of my blessings.  And I am not sure if it means you get more blessings or if you just learn to appreciate the ones you have.  I have two kids.  Lots of people have two kids.  But when you look at them do you truly appreciate them. 

When I am on the phone with women that think they may not win the fight with cancer, their first thought is their children.   After talking to them and really hearing what they are saying, how could I as a healthy women get off the phone and scream at my kids for not cleaning their rooms.  At those moments I look at my kids and am amazed by how tall they are, how polite they are, amazed that they are mine.  And so very blessed that we are all healthy and happy.  So my point is the blessing was there all along but the appreciation is not. 

Being part of this organization has taught me that everything I think I have can be taken away from me.  Therefore I appreciate everything that I have the good fortune to have in my life.  And it doesn't always have to be the big stuff.  Yes I appreciate my husband and kids but I also really appreciate my convection oven.  I love how easy it makes my life having the second oven.  When my house is filled with company and I need both ovens, I really appreciate having the second one.  We don't have to give up our earthy possessions, we just have to be grateful we have them. 

So I begin each day knowing that I am amazed and blessed.

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I Could not agree more...I love the saying "Imagine if you lost everything how happy you would be to have it all back." It helps me to look around you with a fresh pair of eyes and recall that at one time I wanted and worked for the things I already have, most importantly my family, and to be grateful not only for "having" them but for not having to lose anyone first. I try to convey that same message to my children as I repeat to them often to stop wanting and start having...It may not have the same affect on them as me. Most of us are not in need of anything but go to bed feeling the urgency for more. I found myself today looking over a list of items I "needed" to get for my home and quickly changed the heading to "would like". Awareness is the key. I too am amazed and blessed...thanks for your posts Danah.

    ReplyDelete