Sunday 29 January 2012

Introductions Shirley

So have you ever had a terrible chest infection, had to go on a 1 km CIBC Run for the Cure while pushing someone in a wheelchair.   I know!  Me too!

Oddly enough this was the scenario for the moment that the Forever Friends idea took shape. 

But I digress.  Shirley is Theresa's mom.  Now she is a director for the board of Forever Friends.  She has made a very conscious effort to stay very present in her grand children's life.  I think that is admirable.  They were not in an easy situation.  Some people would have let that stop them from a full relationship with their grandchildren.  But not these folks.  That is the part of them that I admire most.  Some people pay lip service to doing what is best for the kids.  These people never questioned their role and just did the right thing. 

 A lot of her story is not mine to tell so I will get to the part that is mine to tell.  So we were at the CIBC Run for the Cure, Shirley had just had surgery on some part of her leg?  (memory lapse as to which part but I definitely remember the wheel chair)  I was so sick I knew I couldn't make the 5KM part so I pushed Shirley for the 1 KM.  It was then that I broached the topic of changing the direction of Forever Friends.  She was all for it. 

I always valued Shirley and Barry's opinion.  I never wanted to do anything that the family wasn't comfortable with.  I valued their support.  I still do. 

Thanks for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment