Friday 16 March 2012

This is so AWESOME!

Forever Friends has a title sponsor for our Saskatchewan's Got Talent event in the fall.  620 CKRM has stepped up to help us out for this event.  We are extremely excited by this. 

But frankly, me more than anyone else.  I love CKRM and I have for years.  And that may make me a bit off.  But I've been off for years.  My first concert was Ricky Van Shelton when I was 16.  I was not the go to chickie boo at parties.  When I was about 13 or so I started working in the field.  I was able to cultivate because I was finally heavy enough to push the clutch on the tractor.   Old tractor radios are not exactly known for great reception.  My dad told me that if I tried to turn the radio station off of CKRM, I would break it.  Of course I didn't listen.  I was trying vainly to be part of the crowd so I tried to find a rock station.  For the rest of the day all I could get was CBC, which in my adolescent mind was seriously broken. 

For the rest of the summer I listened to CKRM.  And for several summers after.  I heard Fred and Willie help sell a set of golf shoes that a scorned woman was selling after her husband stepped out on her.  I also remember a woman selling a wedding dress, "never worn".  Even though I was young I thought "Why would she tell them that?  Hasn't she ever listened to the flea market?" 

I listened when Fred retired and Jamie stepped in.  I listened when they switched from 980 to 620.   And recently last year when Willie stepped down and Gloria stepped in.  I listened to Perry Nyhus, Jim Smalley and Colin Lovequist.  And I enjoyed it. 

So when Gloria heard about Forever Friends and emailed us and asked to help with our Auction I was ecstatic.  So on a whim, I sent her my package for sponsorship for the fall event.  She forwarded it to the powers that be at 620 CKRM and deep breath here...Perry Nyhus called me.  I could hardly speak to him.  Second time in my life I was speechless.  But I did talk to him and set up a meeting last week.  He was very gracious.  We chatted and then he showed me around Harvard Broadcasting.  I got to see the finance lady and the maintenance department and I got to be in the room when Ryan Schutlz was on the air.  (and I managed to keep my mouth shut.)  And Tom (one of the powers that be) gave me a limited edition CKRM clock for being a long time listener that I am going to hang in my new office.  It was so awesome!

Its feels like a glimpse into something that helped shape me as a person.  CKRM always seemed like an extended community.  A farming community like my own and even my family.  Things like the meal in the field during harvest.  Things that meant something to the people that I came from.  I was very excited to be there. 

And today Perry Nyhus met me at my office and he met some of the people I am lucky enough to work with.  He even commented on the great feeling in the office.  He gave Forever Friends an offer we couldn't refuse.  So now I get to work with some of the people that I grew up listening to.  And I am once again amazed and blessed. 

Thank-you all for the opportunity to do these things with Forever Friends.  Today was a good day.

PS I have now completely forgiven CKRM for giving my cousin Melissa 200 dollars (Or there abouts)in the birthday contest when I was about 13 and never once announcing my birthday.  Just saying.

1 comment: